Saturday, March 31, 2012

March 31

As good as his word Browning sends a short note on March 31, 1846 which he dedicates to telling Miss Barrett that:

"...somehow you, you my dearest, my Ba, look out of all imaginable nooks and crevices in the materiality--I see you thro' your goodness,--I cannot distinguish between your acts now,--the greater, indeed and the lesser! Which is the 'lesser'?"

And he will finish the correcting of the proofs:

"...by tonight all shall be corrected, I hope, and got rid of fairly. And tomorrow, I will have you to myself, my best one, and will write till you cry out against me."

Miss Barrett is having none of his praise:

"The actual good you get out of me, may be stated at about two commas & a semi-colon--do I overstate it I wonder?--You, on the other side, never over state anything..never enlarge..never exaggerate!--In fact, the immense 'worldly' advantages which fall to you from me, are plain to behold. Dearest what nonsense you talk sometimes, for a man so wise! nonsense as wonderful in its ways for 'Robert Browning' as the dancing of polkas!--The worst is that it sets me wishing impotently, to do some really good helpful thing for you--and I cannot, cannot. The good comes to me from you, & will not go back again. Even the loving you..which is all I can,..have I not had to question of it again & again...'Is that good?' Now see."

She talks a good deal about her translation of Hector and Andromache which she has sent to Mr. Kenyon but which she says Browning will never see:

"Old Homer laughs his translators to very scorn..& he does not spare me, for being a woman. Surpassingly & profoundly beautiful that scene is. I have tried it in blank verse. About a year ago, when I has a sudden fit of translating, I made an experiment on the first fifty lines of the Iliad in a rhymed measure which seemed to me rather nearer to the Greek cadence than out common heroic verse..."

She loves Browning perhaps as much as poetry. Can that be right?

No comments:

Post a Comment